Domestic violence is an unfortunate reality that affects millions of people across the world. If you know or suspect that someone is a victim of domestic violence, it is important to help them in any way you can. A family lawyer in Carlsbad outlines these four things you can do to help a victim of domestic violence.
Listen to Them:
Listen without judgement and show compassion for their experience. Offer an open and non-judgmental space for them to talk through their thoughts and feelings. Listening is often the most powerful thing you can do; it helps the victim feel heard and understood. Show that you are there for them, and that you care about what they have to say. Let them know that it’s okay to express their emotions, even if it’s difficult for them.
Support Their Decisions:
According to a family lawyer in Carlsbad, everyone’s journey out of an abusive situation is different and it is important to trust that they know what is best for them. Listen to them and support their decisions, even if you disagree with them. Respect their decision making process, even if you don’t agree with it. Remember that you are there to be a resource for them and not to make decisions for them. Offer them advice if asked, but never try to force your opinions on them.
Help Them Develop a Safety Plan:
When creating a safety plan, here are some things suggested by a family attorney in Carlsbad:
- Establishing a code word or phrase that family, friends, or co-workers can use to alert authorities if the victim is in danger.
- Knowing which places are safe for the victim to go for help, such as police stations, domestic violence shelters, and other places.
- Memorizing the address of a friend or family member’s house where the victim can go to.
- Keeping a copy of important documents such as driver’s license, birth certificate, social security card etc in a safe place.
- Establishing an emergency fund with money set aside in case the victim needs to leave quickly.
- Having keys to a car and/or a spare set of house keys with a trusted family member or friend.
Hire a Family Attorney:
A Carlsbad family law attorney can provide legal advice and help them understand their rights. They can also help them take action to protect themselves, such as filing for a restraining order, if needed. The attorney can provide assistance with filling out the necessary paperwork and advocate on their behalf in court. If a victim is seeking divorce or custody of their children, the attorney can advise them on the best course of action.
Victims of domestic violence often feel isolated and alone, with no one to turn to for help. But you can do the things listed above to assist those who are suffering from domestic abuse. Make sure you hire a family law attorney as soon as possible.